[$10,000] - Carbon Footprint
bsic, social, impact, sdg
**Additional bonuses for building on sponsor products**
- Build on **The Graph**, an indexing & query protocol for dApps & become eligible for $1k bonus
- Build on **Celo** and become eligible for $1k bonus
- Use the **Pepo App** to create video cameos of your builds & team and become eligible for $1k bonus
**SDG #7 Affordable and Clean Energy**
**SDG #13 Climate Action**
Since the start of the first industrial revolution, humans have released more than two trillion metric tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. We have created more carbon than nature can absorb, and the excess carbon heats our planet. Already, we have increased our planet’s temperature by 1 degree Celsius. If we don’t curb emissions and temperatures continue to climb, the future will be catastrophic. Using technology, we hope to design tools that can negate our carbon emissions. How can blockchains combat climate change?
**The Challenges from BSIC**
The general objective of these bounties are to build solutions that solve for one of more of the categories of this incubator: Carbon Footprint, Sustainable Cities, Plastics & Pollution.
- Help the community by providing rich examples of social impact scenarios
- Demonstrate how to build blockchain based social impact solutions
We expect all bounties to be comprised of two distinct parts: product and potential. For the product, we will accept submissions in all formats, including but not limited to wireframes, landing page, prototypes, or production code. For potential, we've outlined information that we expect to see below. It can be delivered in any format, including but not limited to a report, a presentation, or a video. All submissions, including all code, must be open source for future use and reference by the community, and links to external documents must be provided in the Github repo submission.
As these bounties are broad and left up to your own discretion, we expect you to deliver the following items tailored for your specific solution:
- A specific problem area, user, and use case for which you are solving
- Unique insights about the problem area gathered through primary or secondary research
- Evidence of team-wide entrepreneurial behavior and spirit throughout the incubator
- Proof that the solution you've identified is primed to advance this issue in the next 6-12 months
- Testimonial from a Subject Matter Expert (SME) who is serving as an advisor
- Proof that blockchain adds significant value to this solution over centralized alternatives
We also are looking for participating teams to articulate both broadly and specifically how their proposed solution affects widespread systemic change. A team that delivers a specific solution must show us how this solution can be rolled out more broadly to have a broad impact on the issue at large. Conversely, a team that solves in generalities must describe how they anticipate testing their ideas in specific, measurable experiments.
All submissions for this bounty must be submitted by 11:59:59 PM EST April 8, 2020.
We are looking for projects that address a real problem and teams that have shown the progress and entrepreneurial instincts to make something real and get it out in the world. Because this bounty is open-ended and has room for more creative expression, the judging will consider these aspects when selecting a winner. Specific scoring rubric is as follows:
- Diverse composition of team and advisors with respect to ethnicities, genders, sexual orientation, and other backgrounds.
- Identification of subgroup of the larger issue, especially focusing on underrepresented or ignored people or concerns
- Validation of assumptions through beneficiaries and subject matter experts
- The solution is achievable and will benefit the needs of the issue or people impacted
- Size of impact measured via proxy as numbers, geographic coverage, adoption rate
- The team carefully takes into account the human landscape, economic conditions, geo, political, social, stakeholders
- Business model design for viability, successful operation, how the organization delivers value while self sustaining its operations,
- Plan to validate assumptions, test with target users, and in the field
- Clear product vision, how it addresses the challenge, communicated in a culturally sensitive way
- High level architectural overview of the solution, including system requirements, processes, tech stack, users flows, attack vectors, testing
- Feasible product roadmap and timeline taking into account external factors such as market readiness
- Defined impact metrics, quantified that relate to the solutions social and environmental performance. Metrics must demonstrate granular understanding of the problem with consideration for the constituents
- Innovative metrics beyond traditional tools measurement tools and processes taking into account obstacles you may face in the field
- Weekly deliverables submitted on time
- Video is submitted with your materials
**Judging Period and Announcement Date**
A judging period will be run from April 9 to April 20 and the bounty will be awarded to a winning submission [$6,500 value] and runner up [$1,500 value] on or about Earth Day, April 22, 2020.
The total reward amount for this bounty is [$10,000 value].
Resources to help with this challenge can be found here:
- [BSIC Resources Blog](https://blockchainforsocialimpact.com/bsic-virtual-incubator-resources-to-tackle-global-environmental-issues-with-blockchain/)
- [Ethereum Hacking Resources](https://kauri.io/a-hackathon-survival-guide/5e1d8e33bc4f230001166708/c)
- [Ethereum Education and Developer tools](https://consensys.net/developers/)
- [Github Developer resources](https://github.com/ConsenSys/ethereum-developer-tools-list)
- [VS Code Blockchain DevKit - arguably the best tool for blockchain development](https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=AzBlockchain.azure-blockchain)
- [VS Code Virtual Team Live Share - in line screen share virtual pair programming](https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=MS-vsliveshare.vsliveshare-pack)
Find us on our [Gitcoin.co/chat BSIC DII Channel](https://chat.gitcoin.co/hackathons/channels/dii-general) and/or drop your questions here.
**Additional Terms of Service**