Development resources at your finger tips
Build with the coolest Web3 projects
Recurring funding for Open Source
Ethical ads to power Open Source
Learn about Web3 & earn rewards
Show appreciation for each other
Meet fellow developers, designers, futurists and more. Collaborate and BUIDL awesome projects together.
Discover great web3 organizations, work on meaningful projects and build relationships with like minded people. Browse Tribes
Meet the top hunters and contributors from our community.
Aloha, Gitcoiners! How do you feel about Data Dignity, Quadratic Voting, Quadratic Finance and Decentralized Identity?
KERNEL is an 8-week, invite-only program for top tech talent looking to build relationships, products, and companies in blockchain and Web 3. 100 tal…
Type in [[ 2- term.length]] more characters to get results
[[ result.title ]]
[[ result.description | truncate(70) ]]
No matches found
Gitcoin is GDPR complaint. Learn more in
Gitcoin's Terms & Conditions.
Check out the Issue Explorer
Looking to fund some work? You can submit a new Funded Issue here.
# Build a Decentralized Academic Publishing Portal
Academic publishing around the world needs to change. Currently, a few giant publishing corporations own and control the rights to ¾ of all published academic research. They don't make this research freely available, opting instead to charge steep prices for access. This approach limits information exchange and seriously hampers scientific progress.
At Arweave, we think it's time to find a solution and we need your help to build one!
Build a fully decentralized Academic Publishing Portal using Arweave's blockchain technology to 1)host the portal and 2) store open-source, non-copyright infringing academic files permanently.
By creating this permanent portal, you will be enabling anyone to have free, perpetual access to academic research, in a manner that has never been possible before.
1. The dApp must be fully decentralized, only using Arweave's blockchain technology to achieve this goal
2. The dApp must have a basic, beautiful and usable design
3. The user login process must be conducted using Arweave wallets, without the need for registration
4. Before content can be submitted, logged in users must be required to confirm that:
1. The materials they are submitting are licensed under a [Creative Commons license](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/) or under [Open Access](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access)
2. If the materials they are submitting are original work, they submit them under a [CC BY- NC 4.0](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) license
1. Other users should be able to donate AR (Arweave's cryptocurrency)to publishers
2. Users and visitors must be able to search through the published content
3. The homepage must display the latest user submitted academic content
4. Any extra features implemented will be taken into account for the final winner decision
1. dApp submissions must be your original work and must be unique or substantially different from other permaweb applications or dApp submissions to this bounty.
2. Previously published dApps on the permaweb aren't eligible to participate in this bounty.
3. You must make your full source code available over Github and it needs to include an OSS license. Which one is up to you!
4. Complete all the goals set in the Goals section.
There will be one single winner of 1,600 DAI.
If no published dApp meets all of the goals and criteria outlined above, there will not be a winner.
We are here to help you build your idea for the bounty, [Join us on our tech Discord](https://discord.gg/VxJ3xsm) if you have any questions!
- You can find the documentation needed for getting started on deploying your Arweave dApp [here](http://bit.ly/35M6Lwn).
- Documentation for ArweaveJS library that allows you to read from and write to the permaweb is available [here](http://bit.ly/2MnqBGA).
- We're providing free tokens for you to get started building and deploying your dApp - Grab your wallet [here](https://tokens.arweave.org/academic-publishing-portal). For guidance on how to use the Chrome web extension wallet, check out [this user guide](http://bit.ly/31sLHYl).
- You can find very useful information about Creative Commons [here](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/), and info about open access [here](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access)
Don't forget to join us on our developers' [Discord server](https://discord.gg/AhsZfBm) to chat and get feedback/assistance from the Arweave team & our community!
- Click "Start Work" and start BUIDLing.
- Hack! [Join us on our tech Discord](https://discord.gg/AhsZfBm) if you have any questions!
- Publish your app to [ArweaveApps](http://arweaveapps.com). You can generate a permaweb URL for the app by appending the transaction ID to this gateway link:
11:59pm EST on November 8th
The prize will be awarded to the individual/team that produces the best approach and the most user-friendly Decentralized Academic Publishing Portal while respecting the challenge description, goals and criteria.
WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT DATE