Development resources at your finger tips
Build with the coolest Web3 projects
Recurring funding for Open Source
Ethical ads to power Open Source
Learn about Web3 & earn rewards
Show appreciation for each other
Meet fellow developers, designers, futurists and more. Collaborate and BUIDL awesome projects together.
Discover great web3 organizations, work on meaningful projects and build relationships with like minded people. Browse Tribes
Meet the top hunters and contributors from our community.
Aloha, Gitcoiners! How do you feel about Data Dignity, Quadratic Voting, Quadratic Finance and Decentralized Identity?
KERNEL is an 8-week, invite-only program for top tech talent looking to build relationships, products, and companies in blockchain and Web 3. 100 tal…
Type in [[ 2- term.length]] more characters to get results
[[ result.title ]]
[[ result.description | truncate(70) ]]
No matches found
Gitcoin is GDPR complaint. Learn more in
Gitcoin's Terms & Conditions.
Check out the Issue Explorer
Looking to fund some work? You can submit a new Funded Issue here.
# Immutable NPM Packages
## **PRIZE BOUNTY**
March 2016, one developer, in response to a heavy-handed removal of one of his packages after npmjs.com received a letter from a corporate lawyer, unpublished his "left-pad" package, causing the infamous left-pad incident. Hundreds of thousands of software projects that depended on this simple package, including Babel and Node itself, started failing to build. Since then, the developer community has come to realize the fragility of a centralized package repository.
Arweave is an open, decentralized, and immutable database, able to store massive quantities of cryptographically verifiable data that is permanently available from a network of nodes across the globe. This makes it the perfect choice for storing software packages and libraries.
It’s already possible to publish NPM packages on Arweave and install them, simply by uploading a .tgz file and installing from the result arweave.net URL, see [https://github.com/aidanok/arql-ops](https://github.com/aidanok/arql-ops) for an example of a package available on Arweave.
This bounty is to streamline the developer UX of using and publishing NPM packages on the Arweave network.
1. Improve the developer UX for installing packages and publishing packages on Arweave.
2. You can write a plugin for existing projects like [https://github.com/verdaccio/verdaccio](https://github.com/verdaccio/verdaccio) or other registry projects, or take another approach.
3. The solution can be something developers should run locally, or be a service that is to be hosted somewhere.
4. Publicly available packages are the driving use case, as Arweave is an open database.
5. (BONUS) Leverage the strong cryptographic properties of the Arweave network such as verifiable identity of the publisher and verifiable contents of the package.
1. Submissions must be your original work.
2. You must make your full source code available over Github and it needs to include an OSS license. Which one is up to you!
3. Submissions must have clear documentation on how to install, run, and use.
4. Complete all the goals set in the Goals section.
There will be **one single** winner of 1,000 DAI.
If submission solutions don’t meet all of the goals and criteria outlined above, there will not be a winner.
We are here to help you build your idea for the bounty, [Join us on our tech Discord](https://discord.gg/z9MwhGk) if you have any questions!
For entries that show high potential, you can apply for funding for further development and drive adoption through our [Grants Program](https://www.arweave.org/get-involved/grants-funding), and bring your hackathon entry to the next level.
* You can find the documentation needed to start BUIDLing on Arweave [here](https://bit.ly/3bPG2BI).
* Documentation for **ArweaveJS** library that allows you to read from and write to the permaweb is available [here](http://bit.ly/2MnqBGA).
* We’re providing free tokens for you to get started building and testing your solution - Grab your wallet [here](https://tokens.arweave.org/weavemail-client-bounty). For guidance on how to use the Chrome web extension wallet, check out [this user guide](http://bit.ly/31sLHYl).
* You can find very useful information about Creative Commons [here](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/).
**Don’t forget to join us on our developers’ [Discord server](https://discord.gg/z9MwhGk) to chat and get feedback/assistance from the Arweave team & our community!**
## **SUBMISSION PROCESS**
* Click "Start Work" and start BUIDLing.
* Hack! [Join us on our tech Discord](https://discord.gg/z9MwhGk) if you have any questions!
* Provide the links to GitHub repo(s) for your solution and any published packages.
## **SUBMISSION DEADLINE**
11:59pm EST on May 21st
## **JUDGING CRITERIA**
The prize will be awarded to the individual/team that produces the best approach and the most developer-friendly workflow for installing and publishing packages on Arweave while respecting the challenge description, goals, and criteria.
## **WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT DATE**
## **HAPPY HACKING!!**