Development resources at your finger tips
Build with the coolest Web3 projects
Recurring funding for Open Source
Learn about Web3 & earn rewards
Show appreciation for each other
Meet fellow developers, designers, futurists and more. Collaborate and BUIDL awesome projects together.
Discover great web3 organizations, work on meaningful projects and build relationships with like minded people. Browse Tribes
Meet the top hunters and contributors from our community.
In partnership with Protocol Labs, we’re excited to welcome builders from everywhere to APOLLO, your mission control to engage with the builder…
We’re excited to publically announce that Matic Network is partnering with Gitcoin to launch the Build-n-Earn Program – assisting dApps t…
Gitcoin is GDPR complaint. Learn more in
Gitcoin's Terms & Conditions.
Check out the Issue Explorer
Looking to fund some work? You can submit a new Funded Issue here.
We currently are in need to migrate our web3 offering from an outdated (and soon to be obsolete version) over to a web3.js 1.0 offering. Web3.js 1.0 is considered to be not-yet released (in beta), but in the community, it has quickly become the standard web3 to use.
# **Current Situation**
Current code base is located at: [https://github.com/aionnetwork/aion_web3](https://github.com/aionnetwork/aion_web3)
Code base for web3.js 1.0 is located at: [https://github.com/ethereum/web3.js/tree/1.0](https://github.com/ethereum/web3.js/tree/1.0)
Currently, Aion has access to an offering of web3.js based on version 0.20.x, we have made the following modifications to web3.js for compatibility with Aion:
- Address derivation changes
- Contract account address derivation scheme:
- User account address derivation scheme:
- ECDSA (Ethereum) to EDDSA/ED25519 (Aion) Signature changes
- See: [https://github.com/aionnetwork/aion/blob/65b2aee2447f166327ca54f3fa19c105f474c2a3/modCrypto/src/org/aion/crypto/ed25519/Ed25519Signature.java](https://github.com/aionnetwork/aion/blob/65b2aee2447f166327ca54f3fa19c105f474c2a3/modCrypto/src/org/aion/crypto/ed25519/Ed25519Signature.java) for implementation details in the reference implementation.
- ABI encoding changes, read about changes here:
- Migration guide is available here, use as starting point for encoding changes: [https://github.com/aionnetwork/aion_fastvm/wiki/Migration-Guide](https://github.com/aionnetwork/aion_fastvm/wiki/Migration-Guide)
- Test harness contract available here: [https://github.com/aionnetwork/aion_web3/blob/master/test/types.js](https://github.com/aionnetwork/aion_web3/blob/master/test/types.js)
- JSON-RPC currently has no documentation. Code reading and testing is necessary to understand outputs from kernel. Easiest way to derive outputs is to setup a private local node.
The latest web3.js is compatible with the following Aion version:
# **Task Description**
We require someone to migrate our current web3 offering (based off of 0.20.x) to web3.js 1.0. Modifications to the code should be organized properly and respect original intent of author. Deviation should upstream should be kept at a minimum, Aion respects a superset of the JSON-RPC calls available by default in web3, ignore those JSON-RPC calls.
# **Acceptance Criteria**
- Code hits all required targets mentioned previously
- Code is well documented
- Code is accompanied by unit tests that are easily runnable by us, these unit tests should ensure that the changes are working correctly.
- Code adheres to the guidelines we set out (respecting the original design, is modular), and allows for easy extensibility.
# **Required Skill**
- Prior experience withweb3.js (0.20.0 or 1.0) (1 year minimum), show your work on GitHub
- Comfortable with Ubuntu 16.04/Linux environment
- Comfortable with git
Technical support is available through [Gitter](https://gitter.im/aionnetwork/Lobby?source=orgpage).