Check out the Issue Explorer
Looking to fund some work? You can submit a new Funded Issue here.
# where we are now
right now gitcoin arguably has two main features: tips and bounties and two main actors: repo maintainers and developers.
# where we want to go
i view the _future_ of gitcoin as having many many tools that support open source software developers.
(and many actors that particpate and benefit in ways that scale relative to their participation)
# how we get there
as a means of iterating towards building tools that developers _want_ to use that _provide value_, we are going to build things, we will dogfood them, and we will be relentlessly data driven and ego-less about which are working and which are not.
in order to design this future, we need to figure out a way of evolving the community towards success.
- evolution had natural selection to select the best species to propogate forward.
- science has scientific method to select the best hypothesis' to propogate forward.
- gitcoin will have data to select the best tools to propogate forward.
here's a very hand-wavey view of how i see this selection mechanism being built into gitcoin
1. debate & identify opportunities
1. scope MVPs
1. build/launch said MVPs.
1. measure relentlessly.
1. celebrate the tools that are working.
1. sunset the tools that aren't working (but celebrate the learnings and the fun we had building them)
in parallel to each of the above, we will find a way to bake an incentive model into said process of entrepeneurship so that (1) the people involved in each experiment (2) the community at large benefit from their successes.
# what can we do in the near term to support this future?
in order to support all of this, we need to have KPIs (key performance indicators) built into each tool.
as a means of prototyping the same, i have built the following into https://gitcoin.co/toolbox... which is live now:
![screen recording 2018-01-02 at 08 15 pm](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/513929/34508154-c0a47d36-eff9-11e7-9d67-28f64fd09249.gif)
this prototype clearly leaves a lot to be desired.. but don't be fooled by the simplicity of the design.. there's data in them thur graphs!
onto the next evolution..
# design bounty
for each tool, what would a tool detail page look like that
- shows off the tools' "brand"
- articulates the hypothesis behind the tool
- identifies the 'principal's (people) behind each tool
- identifies the metrics that track how the tool is performing.
on the index page, how do we surface tools that allow users to navigate the tools available on gitcoin?
- do we use tags?
- do we have a 'trend'ing section?
- where do sunset'd tools live?