Workers Auto Approve
Design Status node instructions
* Make it easy for **anyone with a dedicated computer and Internet connection** to set up and run a Status node
* Inform people of technical requirements to run a node
* Inform people of any risks or benefits
* Equipment costs
* Bandwidth (network and storage)
* *Nice to have: Design incentives for people to run a Whisper bootnode and/or Mailserver*
UPDATE: It's important that all deliverables are editable.
* Research & specification
* Detailed plain-text description of steps required to set up and run a node. This includes instructions or reference to instructions to set up prerequisites such as Linux installation and command line basics.
* Set up your own Status node
* Page layout and content for status.network
* Content can include screenshots, video recordings, etc. whichever is most effective in instructions. We imagine a well narrated video with screen recording would do, but are open to other solutions.
* Content includes instructions for both the physical and digital set up
* Doc of recommendations to Status core contributors on how to further improve the process for anyone to set up a node
#### Use cases
1. Set up node
~* (nano)PC with Ethereum fullnode (can be LES, ULC)~
* (nano)PC without Ethereum fullnode
2. Configure node (Mailserver, Whisper, Bootnode only)
3. Run node
4. Connect Status to node
5. Review/monitor Logs
#### Target users
Anyone with a **dedicated computer that can run Linux**
* May or may not know how to user command line interfaces
* May or may not have experience setting up servers
* May or may not have Linux installed
Status currently hosts nodes that act as *Whisper network bootnodes* and *Mailservers* to enable its messaging functionality. These nodes are hosted in US, Asia and Europe and are paid for by Status. This introduces a dependency. There are several reasons why this is undesirable:
* If Status as an organization forgets to pay the bill or you cannot access the network (send/receive messages).
* If you can't access a node from your location, you can't access the network.
* Using nodes run by Status requires trust. If you don't trust nodes run by Status or want more control over your privacy you will want to run your own node.
It's essential for the sustainability of the Status Network that more people are able to set up a node independently or with support of the community.
For more background info read this thread: https://discuss.status.im/t/increasing-bootstrap-node-diversity-kiss-edition/1138
`Note 1: Status nodes are different from Ethereum bootnodes which people might already be running.`
`Note 2: Once set up a node can have different configurations: a) Mailserver mode - around 600 MB per month b) Whisper Network bootnode mode`
`In addition you can set up an Ethereum full node, this takes significantly more diskspace 160-180GB
` Setting up an Ethereum full node is outside of the scope of this bounty.
## Contributor profile
To complete this bounty you ideally have the following skills and equipment:
* Experience with requirements collection specification through stakeholder interviews and desk research
* Experience with technical content writing
* Theoretical understanding of instructional design
* Portfolio that includes illustrations and/or multimedia design
* A dedicated computer that can run Linux, can be an old laptop
* What are recommended cost-effective mini/micro computers that are sufficient for a Whisper network bootnode?
* Internet connectivity (preferably over Ethernet)
Online communication with:
* Technical marketing writer
* Infrastructure engineer
* UX research
Setup your profile
Tell us a little about you:
No results found for
Type to search skills..
Required [[totalcharacter]] / 240
Are you currently looking for work?
[[ option.string ]]
Setup your profile
Our tools are based on the principles of earn (💰), learn (📖), and meet (💬).
Select the ones you are interested in. You can change it later in your settings.
I'm also an organization manager looking for a great community.
Enable your organization profile
Gitcoin products can help grow community around your brand. Create your tribe, events, and incentivize your community with bounties. Announce new and upcoming events using townsquare. Find top-quality hackers and fund them to work with you on a grant.
These are the organizations you own. If you don't see your organization here please be sure that information is public on your GitHub profile. Gitcoin will sync this information for you.
Select the products you are interested in:
Out of the box you will receive Tribes Lite for your organization. Please provide us with a contact email: