Development resources at your finger tips
Build with the coolest Web3 projects
Recurring funding for Open Source
Ethical ads to power Open Source
Learn about Web3 & earn rewards
Show appreciation for each other
Meet fellow developers, designers, futurists and more. Collaborate and BUIDL awesome projects together.
Follow the orgs you like more with tribes and build relationships and meaningful projects.
Meet the top hunters and contributors from our community.
Most people working with Ethereum have questions about ETH2.0. Kevin Owocki hosted some developers working on the project for a recent episode of the…
Sia recently ran the Skynet Hackathon with Gitcoin for Skynet’s launch, leading to over 40 project submissions in a 2 week period. This piece, …
Gitcoin is GDPR complaint. Learn more in
Gitcoin's Terms & Conditions.
Check out the Issue Explorer
Looking to fund some work? You can submit a new Funded Issue here.
**_Summary_**: When there is a message which requires formatting in chat, it appears on chat view much longer than plain-text messages. More items in a single message require formatting - exponentially more time for message to be parsed and displayed to user.
When messages are really large and there are a lot of items to process - app freezes during that time (below figures are app-freezes values)
For example, on Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Android 6.0.1) - slow device:
1) The time it takes for a single message having 100 links and 1000 chars in total (including whitespaces) when navigating from Chats view to public chat with the message -> ~3.5 seconds
2) Same number of characters but when no any formatting is applied to message content takes 'Chat') and the actual message content to appear - is less than 0.3s
#### Actual behavior
When user of the `Samsung Galaxy Note 4`-like device navigates to chat with the single message which has any type of formatted text (bold, italic, backquoted, link, tag) repeated 250 times with 2500 chars in total, the time it takes from chat view (actual chat, excluded navigation between 'Chats' -> 'Chat') and the actual message content to appear is:
| Text | Links | Tags | Bold | Italic | Backquotes | Mix of everything (without text) |
| ------------- | ------------- | ------------- | ------------- | ------------- | ------------- | ------------- |
| <0.3s | 26s | 26s | 16s | 16s | 26s | 23s |
VIdeo for above measurements from Galaxy Note 4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-0rUsqj5_OjK1HiDqu-AXYLylvyt_ezD/view
Message content used in Video you can get here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pXvXuwZ0AR-pJ5BPsiZL1a1V5LajLMQAeBd6FsMUN_o/edit?usp=sharing
* Open Status and create new account
* Join unique public chat
* Send message with text required formatting (you can get data from the above link)
* Navigate back to Chats view
* Navigate to chat with the message sent and pay attention until message appears
### Additional Information
* Status version: Develop0.13.0/Release0.12.2
* Operating System: Android and iOS and Desktop