Development resources at your finger tips
Build with the coolest Web3 projects
Recurring funding for Open Source
Ethical ads to power Open Source
Learn about Web3 & earn rewards
Show appreciation for each other
Meet fellow developers, designers, futurists and more. Collaborate and BUIDL awesome projects together.
Follow the orgs you like more with tribes and build relationships and meaningful projects.
Meet the top hunters and contributors from our community.
Most people working with Ethereum have questions about ETH2.0. Kevin Owocki hosted some developers working on the project for a recent episode of the…
Sia recently ran the Skynet Hackathon with Gitcoin for Skynet’s launch, leading to over 40 project submissions in a 2 week period. This piece, …
Gitcoin is GDPR complaint. Learn more in
Gitcoin's Terms & Conditions.
Check out the Issue Explorer
Looking to fund some work? You can submit a new Funded Issue here.
In V1 we transition to some new terminology. On most screens, this new copy is included in the latest develop builds. However, some places that have not been touched for V1 might still include old copy that needs to be updated. This includes:
- Permission dialogs
- Permission settings
- Ohter screens. This issue requires a review of other places where this terminology is not consistent.
- PIN > `6-digit passcode`
- 6-digit code > `6-digit passcode`
- Contact code > `Chat key`
- Recovery phrase > `Seed phrase`
- Sign in > `Unlock`
- Recover or Add existing account > `Access key`
- Create new account > `Generate a new key`
- Other accounts > Back key without reference
_Note: Inside wallet we do use `Generate a new account`. We only refer to account in relation to a multiaccount in wallet. Never in relation to the 'thing you unlock' when opening Status._
### Why change the language
We have introduced layers of abstraction over time (Public key and Whisper ID becoming contact code. Seed phrase becoming Recovery phrase). The abstractions were intended to make the app easier to understand by moving away from the technical lingo and giving an indication of functionality, i.e. 'contact' and 'recover'. However, these abstractions:
- Have created inconsistency between code base and application, leading to miscommunication in product development.
- Have not been shown effective in explaining key concepts (e.g. contact code explaining that it is required to connect with contacts).
- Give too little information about how the app actually works.
- Contribute to continued misunderstanding about how the app works which becomes an issue when something goes wrong or new features are introduced.
- Add a layer of complexity to some of our core users who are familiar with the technology and might attempt to reverse engineer how the app works.
- Change in https://github.com/status-im/status-react/blob/develop/translations/en.json
- Reserve time for translations
## Acceptance Criteria
- Copy is updated on permission dialogs
- Copy is updated on permission in Proofile > Settings
- List of reviewed flows to check for remaining inconsistencies on latest develop.
- all occurrences of PIN and 6-digit passcode are changed to 6-digit passcode